Here at Wild Moon Organics Ltd., we are always on the lookout for ways to incorporate our 100% organic bone broth into our daily foodstuffs and this time of year, it is SO easy to find ways to do this. We ate A LOT of soup when we were kids and I remember my mom finding creative ways to supe up our mushroom soup so all of us kids wouldn’t get bored of eating it so often. Aside from adding a mixture of different mushrooms, she also changed up the flavours with different kinds of wine (…she was channelling her inner Italian!) and one of her faves was Madeira wine. These days, I use it in SO many sauces and soups that I know, were she still with us, she would be smiling every time she made her way into my kitchen. Yesterday, I took one of her fave recipes and added some Wild Moon broth and a few other ingredients to make it our own and, I have to say, it’s even BETTER than mom’s soup! Must be the delicious bone broth…;)
Wild Moon’s Chicken (Optional) Mushroom Madeira Soup
(of course, it’s tastier and better for you if you use all organic ingredients or as many as you can):
2 diced portabello mushrooms 2 cups diced Oyster mushrooms 2 cups diced Crimini mushrooms 1 thinly sliced stalk of Fennel (or Leek if you can’t find Fennel) 1 0z of butter or ghee 2 tbsp plain all-purpose flour (or, if you’re grain-free, try coconut flour, it works just as well) 1/2 cup of Madeira wine 5 cups of Wild Moon Organic Chicken Broth 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I used Olive Us Smoked Olive Wood Oil and OH MY YUMMMMM) 1/3 cup of Sour Cream (or plain yogurt) 2 tsps chopped marjoram (fresh is best, but dried will work too) 2 chicken breasts diced (if you are a veggie, leave out the chicken) 250 g crumbled bacon (if you are a veggie, leave out the bacon, too)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium and add in the Fennell and bacon. Sauté it for five minutes.
- Add all the mushrooms and cook it all together for 10 minutes.
- Mix flour with a few tbsps of the broth and add it to the mix, stirring it for one minute.
- Add the Madeira and keep stirring for another 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the bone broth, reduce the heat and simmer the works for around 45 minutes.
- allow it to cool for a few minutes while you cook the chicken.
- Add oil to another pan and cook the chicken in it until it’s all cooked.
- Take cooled soup and blend it (without the chicken) until it’s smooth and then return it to the saucepan.
- Add the sour cream and chopped marjoram and stir it for a few minutes until the soup warms up again. Remove from heat.
- Pour into bowls and add the diced chicken on top.
- Eat it all and demand more…it’s just that good!